Fit For a Crown
First, what is a dental crown and why do I need it? A dental crown is a fixed prosthetic, also known as a cover or a “cap”, that is placed over your existing tooth. The purpose of crowns is to restore your natural tooth, to its original shape, size, and functionality. When placed, a crown will fully encase a tooth, protecting it from outside elements that could cause infection or further oral damage. While simultaneously helping improve your overall look!
Why would I need a crown?
If you have experienced any of the following, you may be a good candidate for a crown.
- Cavities too large to repair with a simple tooth filling.
- Teeth that are worn down, cracked, or weak.
- If you have had a previous root canal treatment.
- To improve the overall look of your smile.
What Is The Process Of Getting A Crown Like?
We know that much like any other treatment, sometimes it can be a little intimidating. But at Texas Family Dental we have found that comfort is found in the knowledge. And our mission is to keep you happy, healthy, and comfortable.
- Your dentist will prep your tooth/teeth.
- Impressions will be taken of your teeth to ensure the correct fit for your crown.
- Your temporary crown will be placed.
- During your second visit, your dentist will place your permanent crown and make any needed adjustments.
- Time to cement the crown in place!
Be sure to care for your crown(s) as you would your natural teeth. Regular brushing and flossing, avoid chewing on hard items such as pens, pencils, ice, and other hard-surfaced items.
The Advantages Of Having A Crown
*Notice: The risks and benefits of a dental crown should be considered for each patient to ensure the best fit, recommendation, and plan of care is followed for every individual.